Saturday, October 20, 2007

Cotton Harvest Season

Its cotton harvest season in this southern state. Check out the enormous cotton bails. Believe it or not, the cotton used to be more prevalent here than now. This year, about 75 percent (or a figure close to that) of cotton fields are now corn fields. Farmers have had to reroute their strategies and invest in new equipment to grow corn, while most of America's cotton crop has been assigned to foreign countries such as Vietnam. The corn in this state is going toward catfish farms, and of course, ethanol. When we moved here, being from Iowa, I felt right at home. Although corn is becoming more of a profitable crop than before, I'm not exactly sure how the true cotton farmers feel about it down here. I guess they are glad that they don't wear corn underwear.

2 comments:

Maria said...

When I think of Mississippi, I think of cotton bales and John Grisham.

Anonymous said...

That's Mississippi!