Friday, September 14, 2007

Iowa

TRIP POSTS, EVERYBODY. I know, I know .... its been so long, already. I'm just going to post some of the photos and tell a couple of stories.

First of all, we went home to spend some time with my family, of course. Second, I haven't been home for Old Threshers festival since I was 17, and I was curious to see what it was looking like these days. I spent quite a bit of time on the fairgrounds during this festival, and the moment I drove by the grounds, all the memories started flowing back. All good memories, thank God. Fun stuff. Like, walking around with my family to see all the little crafters, and looking at the steam engines, and riding the trains when I was little. As I got older, around 16 and 17, I spent a lot of time at the dance barn, afterhours, where I met a lot of friends. I ran into a couple of my old friends. I missed seeing a few. Heard a few sad stories about others. But most of all, I really enjoyed just walking around the grounds this time with Joey. He LOVED people watching, and he LOVED the big trains.



Here's Joey at his first parade. They have an Old Thresher's parade every year to kick off the festival. They put all kinds of antique cars and steam engines in the parade, along with horses and such. Its really cute. He enjoyed it very much!


I don't have any photos of this, but mom and I took Joey to see my dad's band play at the grandstand on opening night as well. He was grooving along in his stroller with the music and smiling and laughing the whole time. Im sure he could recognize his Papa's voice over the mic.

This photo scares Joe. :) It doesn't scare me at all. In fact, it makes me smile. While we were home, my dad sang a lot to Joey and played his guitar for him. Joey LOVED it. And he was bound and determined to get a hold of dad's guitar. Of course, we wouldn't let him, but I think its the start of something neat. I grew up very musically, singing with my dad and learning how to play guitar and piano. I know more piano than guitar, but maybe that'll change someday. I think this is the cutest photo in the world, and I know it makes my dad very proud.



Joe wasn't able to be with us most of the time. He drove us up on a Saturday and had to fly back that following day to work all week. Then that following Saturday he flew back to drive with us on Sunday afternoon. He ended up flying in later than anticipated, so when he got in, we were late, so we had to high tail it to the grounds to help mom with her art show, and spend some time on the grounds with Joe. He caught wind of the carousel and insisted to take Joey on his first ride. Here they are.... my 2 kids!




Joey and I had some time to ourselves. Not much, but a little. We always have so much to do when we go home. Here's a photo of my grocery shopping buddy.
When I wasn't quite a mom yet, I used to try to find coffee shops or quiet corners to go write in my journal. Now that I'm a mommy, those days are over for a long time. But, we did find a cute little coffee shop on the square that they opened a few years back. I've been there before, but I really enjoy going there every time i'm in town. Joey went with me this time and hung out with me in his stroller. We didn't have time journal of course, but I did grab an espresso and a turkey wrap. I met my dear friend Addie up there the next day too for lunch. It was great to see her. Its the first time I've seen her since she's been pregnant. She's due in February.


While I was home, Joey and I had some precious time spent with my grandparents. TO the left, is a picture of my Granny. We had a wonderful time visiting with her. All my grandparents are incredible people. (I'm not just saying this because they all will read this eventually.) They truly are. Each has their own unique personality and all are very wise. I wish I had a photo with my Grandpa John, and also one with my Grandma Mary. I had an incredible time with each.

My Granny (to the left) and I had a great time sharing together. As it always is, its never enough time. Never. And it was great to spend time with my Grandpa John too. My time with him is precious these days. We continue to hope and pray that he is ok. The Lord is with him, and all your prayers are more than appreciated.

My Grandma Mary and I had lunch together with my Aunt Gale, who was in town as well. Every time I spend time with my Grandma Mary, I have a chance to get to know her more, and the older I get, and more I understand about life, the more I learn about my Grandma. All my grandparents have been through their share in life, and I love hearing stories and experiences, and love seeing that no matter what they've been through, they all have brilliant vivid spirits. I'm inspired. I thirst for more time with each one of them!

Mom's set up was great! All her beautiful art was displayed very nice and classy, as always. Her black and white pencil drawings were gleaming against her antique screen door set up. This year, she hung up Christmas lights and it set it off. Really cute! Its really hard to sell to the people that come to Old Threshers though. Everyone like to buy prefabricated "stuff" ... not real art. I don't understand that.....

Anyway, it was good to be home. Mom and Dad ate Joey UP! :) That was the best part. Interesting how things don't change much in a small town. I worry about that here in this small town. Never mind. I guess that can be endearing about a small town, when you need a place to go where everyone knows your name.

0 comments: