Sunday, November 04, 2007

Great weekend

What a great weekend.

Anne was here this weekend, our dear friend and neighbor in Nashville. She's the greatest on so many levels. Not many come with a heart like hers. We're blessed to have her.

Last night we went to a Delta Waterfowl fundraising event in Drew MS. Whew. Very interesting mix of people. We had a great time. It was about 5 different shades of red in there though. They had a silent and live auction of hunting gear and duck photos. Hunting is not really my "thing" but I go along with to these little events because (a) Joe's company sponsors the events with beer and prizes, and (b) Joe LOVES to hunt. ((I'm not against it - I actually have hunting in my blood - but I just didn't really grow up hunting, although my grandfather would rather hunt than eat. I support Joe's love, and I'm interested in learning about it, so these events are more "educational" to me than anything.)) We bought some raffle tickets and sure enough, we won a single shot 12 gauge shot gun. HA!

The first and last time I shot a gun was almost 2 years ago. Joe and I went on a duck hunt with our friends Danny and Charisse. Charisse and I were along for the ride, basically. We had a great time nagging Danny and Joe because they couldn't shoot a duck to save their lives. Joe handed me the gun and said I could have a go. I'm not comfortable AT ALL around guns so I was nervous. He helped me position the gun and when the next set of ducks flew in and began to fold up, I aimed and fired.

BANG!

Next thing I remember was my arm was in TERRIBLE pain. The kick had moved the butt of the gun to my shoulder and damaged the ligaments. I haven't been able to throw a ball since.

The gun we won last night is the same gauge shotgun that ripped my shoulder to pieces, so I will probably give that gun to Joey when he's old enough. Maybe.

Anyway, the best part about last night was Anne had a guy ask her if she was single. "Yeah, I'm not married." "Well!!!!" he said, "why don't you just come over here and sit down on my lap and pretend I'm Santa Claus!" in a half-drunken slur. "Why don't we pretend I'm sitting in my car getting ready to drive away," I believe she replied. Jerk. Who does that?

Anne left this afternoon. I was so sad to see her go. She is just the kind of person that every one needs to emulate - full of love, compassion, honesty, and faith - and not to mention a twisted sense of humor. She had us ROLLING!

1 comments:

Maria said...

I am not a gun advocate, but once a friend of mine who is a cop dared me to see if I could shoot a beer can on a stump behind his house. (They live in the country.)

I had never shot a gun in my life and took the dare.

And yep....hit the sucker. To this day, he calls me "one shot."

But, I am sure that I will never shoot a gun again. Kind of nice to know that I am good at it, though, I mean...if an FBI guy jumps in to use my car and we have to go on a chase and he is shot and I have to defend us....now THAT would be a blog, huh?