Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"The Lovely Bones"

I don't read much. I think it shows in my writing...a lot. I love to write, but I notice that I could write better and more expressively (and with much less spelling error) while I was in college, when I started journaling everyday. I "practiced" with my journaling as well as my reports and assignments.

But last Thursday, I took a fast trip to Nashville to visit Heather and Daniel in the hospital when Gavin was born, and I crashed at Anne's place that night. She was telling me about a book called The Lovely Bones by Anne Sebold (and just recently found out that they are making a movie out of the book). I started reading that book, which I found on her guest bedroom shelf that evening before I went to bed, and I could NOT put it down.

I read slow. THat comes from a long history of A LOT of detailed reading since 8th grade, where my classes were so difficult, college was a breeze. I used to have to read EVERY SINGLE WORD in order to not miss anything, as my tests were absurdly nit-picky. Once I arrived in college, the reading was actually a lot lighter, but I carried my detailed reading with me, and my extensive note-taking. TO read a book for pleasure for me is absolutely unheard of, as I can't just READ a book. I don't trust that I can remember details of the book the next time I pick it up to continue where I left off before.

I decided to take a chance on reading again. I want Joey to read more than I did. I can't say that I've read any great classics and I feel less rounded because of that. I have less time now, but I want to make time to do so.

Anyway, I started this book ... and I love it. Its so interesting. I'm barely to page 100 and I've had 2 reading sessions. I wish I could read faster. Its driving me nuts. But I'm enjoying the read. Anne brought me a book this weekend that I'm going to read next, IF I finish The Lovely Bones. Its called "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kid.

So much to do today. I have several projects in the air, but I'm so sleepy I can barely keep my eyes open. Coffee is brewing, and so I'm going to get to work....

4 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

I've heard really good things about that book... It's on my list!

Maria said...

Alice Sebold is a brilliant writer. I read The Lovely Bones a couple of years ago and it stayed with me for months. It just haunted me. It will haunt you too. Some books are just that good.

And how exciting that a movie is being made about it. I want everything this woman touches to turn to gold.

I'm reading a wonderful book now by Maureen Millea Smith. It is called When Charlotte Comes Home.

I live for books.

Anonymous said...

Y'all should try Then Came Heaven.
The author is LaVyrle Spencer.
It's a beautiful story.

Suzanne