Saturday, May 17, 2008

The 5k

I made it.

I don't know how but .... I made it.

I actually did quite well (THANK GOD) for not practicing or working out to lead up to the event.

I came in 17th place over all (and there were maybe 300 or 400 runners??). I was the 4th female to finish, and I was 2nd in my age class. KEEP IN MIND THIS ROUTE WAS FLAT AS A PANCAKE. I can promise you that if we had even a hint of a hill, my ass would not have made it as smoothly and successfully.

I was SOOOO happy to see such a fantastic turnout for this first annual event. People of ALL ages were there to run/walk. The 2nd place winner was actually a kid that was about 10 years old... maybe younger? The 1st place woman was 42 (go girl!) and people of all shapes and sizes entered. I LOVED IT. A good friend of ours entered the race and finished without stopping, and he JUST started training 5 weeks ago.

I ran the Nashville "Boo Dash" in October of 2001 for a "Jog Run" Class at college (yes, they had this class, and yes I got credit.....sounds pretty unfair doesn't it?) I did alright, but not as well as I would have liked then. But, I must blame it on THE HILLS. And Nashville has them. Oh yes. They do.

But today was actually pretty "easy" (term used loosely) . I'm just thankful that I didn't blow my knee out or fall on my face as I actually almost did about a 1/2 mile in when my toe found my loose shoe lace. (Mom - I had to hold back a "SON OF A BITCH!.... oh my, I almost fell down!" when that happened.....**inside joke**)

The race actually had a weird twist to the whole thing though. The new contestants from The Biggest Loser were running with us, so there were camera crews EVERYWHERE following the race. It was actually quite annoying trying run around them.


Following the race, I was blessed to meet some people. I made a new friend, Simone, and her two beautiful children. They are from Australia, and they moved here about a year ago. She beat me in the race (I don't hold that against her! haha!) but that did strike up conversation that we should go running together sometime when our "kiddo" schedules coincide. I hope that happens, because she is really cool. And I need more girlfriends here. That area of my new world here is coming around. I've made some good ones through events like this race, and at church, thank goodness. And the ones with kiddos Joey's age are coming out of their holes just like I am, because our kids are finally old enough to need buddies of their own. Its about time because Joey REALLY needs to learn how to play nice. (He swatted and screamed at Rudy, our dog, the other day, when he was playing with Joey's ball. Time to find him a good playmate when he gets mad at THE DOG!!! Holy smokes.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Good for you.
That's quite an accomplishment.

Anonymous said...

Girl, the only place I ran today was to the refrigerator... Congratulations, Flo Jo.

Beth said...

Congratulations!! That takes a lot of "kick"!!! Good for you :)